FOOD For Lane County’s Nutrition Education Program provides nutrition education, basic cooking skills and tips on how to stretch limited food budgets to income-eligible audiences throughout Lane County. We currently have two education programs: Cooking Matters and Cooking Matters at the Store.
Covid update: The Nutrition Education Program has transitioned its free classes to an online format.
(links to register for classes listed below!)
- Vegetarian Cooking on a Shoestring, December 8th, 10-11 am bit.ly/3lgOS23
- Meal Planning with a Food Box and Stretching Food Budgets, December 10th, 5:30-6:30 pm bit.ly/2ZGicYl
- Cooking Matters at the Store, December 13th, 7-8:30 pm bit.ly/3xDqJIh
- Intro to Batch Cooking, December 17th, 5-6 pm bit.ly/3rqFL2S
- Take Two – Maximizing Leftovers, December 21st, 2-3 pm bit.ly/3Ddxq4K
Cooking Matters is a cooking-based nutrition education program.
- Learn how to prepare healthy, tasty meals on a limited budget
- Practice fundamental lessons including knife skills, reading ingredient labels and cutting up a whole chicken.
- Learn how to make a healthy meal for a family of four on a $10 budget
At the end of each lesson, participants take home ingredients to practice preparing the recipe taught that day. Classes are taught by volunteers and administered by FOOD for Lane County in partnership with Oregon Food Bank and with the support of Share Our Strength.
Cooking Matters at the Store
Cooking Matters at the Store meets adults at the grocery store for a learning experience that teaches participants how to make positive changes to their food shopping habits.
- Reading and understanding nutrition fact labels and unit pricing
- Choosing healthy food from every section of the grocery store
- Other ways to stretch a food budget without minimizing quality
If you are interested in scheduling classes or volunteering for the Nutrition Education Program, contact FFLC Nutrition Education Program Coordinator Dana Baxter by email here or call (541) 343-2822 x104.
Check out some nutritious recipes here.